Everyone is always looking for that next tip or trick that will help their business get an edge over their competition. And much of the time that edge comes in the form of advertising or marketing. Over the last decade or so marketing has taken a completely different path for most businesses. Instead of phone book listings, newspaper ads, flyers, etc. you are now seeing a focus on online marketing techniques to drive consumers to your website. These techniques include: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Pay Per Click Ad Systems, Social Media Marketing, Blogging, and much much more.
One technique that has come about as a new and effective marketing trend is Video Marketing. Video Marketing has a very simple goal, engage the viewer and create a feeling that will influence the viewer to act. Whether that is filling out a form to learn more, renting online, sharing the video on social media, or many other positive actions that can benefit your business. Most companies now have dedicated YouTube channels to market their products, offer tutorials, or answer frequently asked questions. They also share these videos across their various social media channels, which allows them to promote their business to a wider audience.
For those of you still wondering if this is an effective technique, let me share some key statistics with you to show the value of Video Marketing in today’s society.
- 68% of marketers believe that original digital video content will be as important as original TV programming in the next 3 years.
- In the US, YouTube reaches more 18-49 year-olds than ANY broadcast or cable TV network, and YouTube does that on mobile devices alone.
- In the US, during prime time, more 18-49 year olds tune into YouTube than into the top 10 TV shows combined.
- In 2016, more video content will be uploaded in 30 days than all three major U.S. T.V. networks combined have created in 30 years.
- It’s estimated that mobile video will account for 75% of total mobile data traffic by 2020.
- We are watching 100 million hours of video on Facebook every day.
- 55% of people in the U.S. watch videos every day,
- Google Preferred – YouTube’s premium content offering – reaches more people in the US on mobile than all Full Episode Players combined, like Hulu or Netflix.
- In 2020, video will account for 23.2% of marketing spend, compared to 17.7% in 2015.
- The average internet user spends over 16 minutes watching online video ads per month
- Video ads have an average click-through rate of 1.84% – higher than any other digital format.
©ReelSEO.com, All Rights Reserved
So now we understand that video content is a major draw in our society today, but why? What does video do that is so special? Well for starters you need to understand that our society, while filled with many innovative and brilliant people, isn’t always the smartest or most patient group of people. Thanks to mobile devices, social media, and much more, the average attention span of a human is only 8 seconds. To put that into perspective, Goldfish have an attention span of 9 seconds. So there you have it, we need to cater to an impatient and somewhat dull society. The best way to do that is to utilize video as a main source of content for our websites. Why? There are 3 key reasons to highlight:
- Videos Convey Your Message Quickly – Videos can get right to point better than any other media or content structure. No reading bullet points or boring articles like this one, just key information on demand.
- Videos Keep Viewer’s Attention – Good quality videos help keep visitor’s attention, they draw the viewer in and connect with him using audio and visual effects. This allows the viewer to not be distracted and can hopefully pay attention to the video’s core message. This is pretty much the same idea of turning on cartoons for a child, or maybe using a laser or something shiny to distract a cat.
- Google Love’s Videos – It’s pretty simple in today’s internet world, Google is the king and to be successful we need to follow their rules. Google has come out with numerous articles and updates urging people to utilize “media rich content” to enhance the viewer’s experience. Websites that utilize good video practices usually end up ranking higher on Google Search and getting more relevant traffic to the site.
So not only do videos enhance the user’s experience, but they also draw more viewers too. This isn’t a new trend by any means, but it is a trend that if followed can boost your company’s marketing efforts and make your customers experience more satisfying and effective.
Despite all the jokes I’ve made about our society and our lack of attention, this is an area we need to pay attention to, because it is the way of the future in advertising and marketing online.Video Marketing is great way to promote events, explain your business, and it helps you control your message in a desirable way. So do we jump on the video train and ride it to success or simply wait for the next trend to come and pass us by? The choice is yours, but the result has already been decided. Video Marketing is here to stay. It is effective and cost efficient and will allow you to reach new heights for your business if done properly.